SAINT MARY’S CHURCH (Church of Ireland), Church Hill, Navan
Celebrating 200 Years
Closure of the Bicentennial Celebrations
St. Mary’s Church of Ireland launched its Bicentenary Programme with a Celebration at Church Hill, Navan, on 29th March 2015, marking 200 years from when the rebuilding of the church began. The Bicentennial Celebrations now come to a close on Sunday 20th May 2018 (The Day of Pentecost – the Birthday of the Church) with a celebration of Holy Communion by The Most Revd Pat Storey, Bishop of Meath and Kildare, at 11.30a.m.
St. Mary’s hosted a number of events from 2015 to 2018 marking the reconstruction phase and enlargement of the church building during the years 1815 and 1818. As part of the programme, a beautiful book entitled: “St. Mary’s Church of Ireland Bicentenary – An Illustrated Guide” was compiled by Robert Dier and launched on 19th April. Copies are available for €20.00.
St. Mary’s Church was designed by The Revd Daniel Augustus Beaufort (Rector of Navan 1765 -1819), the father of Sir Admiral Francis Beaufort – inventor of the Wind Scale, and son of the French Huguenot – Revd Daniel Cornelius Beaufort (Rector of Navan 1747 – 1765).
As the Bicentennial Programme and Celebrations come to a close, the rector, Canon John Clarke would like to invite as many people from the wider community as possible to join at the church on Sunday 20th May at 11.30a.m. to give thanks for 200 years of worship and ministry.